CLiF has served over 350,000 children since 1998.
Host a Book Drive
Thank you for your interest in organizing a book drive for the Children’s Literacy Foundation! CLiF distributes all books collected in book drives to children throughout Vermont and New Hampshire who are at higher risk of growing up with low literacy skills.
Tips for Hosting a Successful Drive
Set the Dates:
- We suggest you plan to run your drive for a period of at least 10 days to a month.
- Work with your local independent book store to set up a wish list, or create one online.
- Make a plan for collecting books. (Bookstores may not have the space to store books for the duration of your drive.)
- If creating an online list, determine whether you want books shipped to you or directly to CLiF. Please be sure to notify us if shipping directly to CLiF so we can be sure to acknowledge your donations!
- Consider offering incentives to customers who donate, such as a discount on the book they purchase, a coupon toward a future purchase, or a raffle ticket toward a drawing for a gift certificate, or other prize.
- If space allows, set up a display table with books at different price points that your customers could purchase for the drive. If space is limited, consider a display of three to five books by the register and encouraging customers to buy one as a donation to CLiF.
- For drives during the holiday season, consider festive touches such as a “gift tree,” decorated with slips of paper or ornaments that give the name of a requested title. Another fun idea is a grab bag, from which customers can draw a slip of paper and purchase the title shown.
Promote Your Drive:
- Alert your community to the drive! Get the word out by sharing on social media, posting flyers, notifying your local newspaper, sending texts and emails, and using any other communications channels you have access to! (Carrier pigeons? Smoke signals? Sky writing? Whatever works!)
- CLiF logos are available for download at the bottom of the page, and we can provide you with additional materials upon request.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Does CLiF accept used books?
- We do not. We accept only brand new books with no signs of wear. It is important that the children we serve, many of whom have few, if any, books of their own, feel they are getting something new, special and personal.
- What kinds of books does CLiF need?
- We are always seeking new, high-quality books appropriate for children aged 0 to 12 years. We do not accept religious books, or books based on television programs.
- We accept both hardcover and paperback books, but find that hardcover are more durable and tend to be prized by the children who receive them.
- Who receives the donated books?
- CLiF distributes the books to the children we serve across Vermont and New Hampshire. If you would like to designate an area for your donation to be distributed, please let us know and we will do our best to honor your request.
- Where should I send the books?
- Please mark books as Media Mail and send via USPS to: Duncan McDougall, Executive Director, Children’s Literacy Foundation, 1536 Loomis Hill Road, Waterbury Center, VT 05677
- Still have questions?
- Please contact CLiF Communications Manager Sarah Hall at email@example.com or call 802-244-0944.