Authors, Illustrators, and Storytellers, Oh My! What do these things have in common? Well, they are all an integral part of the CLiF Year of the Book grant. Boscawen Elementary School in Boscawen, NH was one of ten schools across NH & VT that won this grant worth $25,000 for the 2018-19 school year. By … Continued
Year of the Book
CLiF’s Year of the Book provides $25,000 worth of literacy programs, support, and new children’s books over one school year to help build a culture of literacy in elementary schools across New Hampshire and Vermont. This program targets schools that have a high percentage of students scoring below proficient in literacy assessments, and a high percentage of students receiving free/reduced lunch.
Since we started CLiF’s Year of the Book we have sponsored 90 elementary schools across the Twin States. (Please note: A school must wait a minimum of five years from completing momentum year or six years from starting their Year of the Book before it can reapply for sponsorship in this program.)
Activities and Support
Each sponsored school receives:
- $25,000 worth of literacy programming and books
- A wide variety of literacy-related programs that will take place during the school year, and several other forms of support (see “More Details” link below)
- 10 new, high-quality children’s books for each student to keep and to select from hundreds of inspiring titles
- CLiF support in arranging logistics, integrating low-cost literacy programs into the school year, networking with past and present school coordinators, and accessing additional CLiF resources
Goals of Year of the Book
- Supplement elementary schools’ existing efforts to create a pro-literacy culture in the school community
- Encourage enthusiasm for books among students from preschool to grade 6
- Inspire students to read and write for pleasure
- Support teachers’ literacy curricula and creative integration of literacy into all areas of study
- Ensure all children have a collection of high-quality books of their own at home
- Get parents more involved in their children’s literacy activities and encourage more reading at home
Applications for the 2022-2023 school year due by March 9, 2022.
Contact Meredith Scott at firstname.lastname@example.org or (802) 244-0944 with any questions.