As the year winds down and we prepare to celebrate the arrival of 2020, we took a look back at what we accomplished this year (spoiler alert: It’s a lot!). In 2019, CLiF held roughly 900 literacy events – including storytelling/author visits, family literacy dinners, writing workshops, field trips, and book giveaways – with attendance … Continued
Year of the Book
CLiF’s Year of the Book provides $25,000 worth of literacy programs, support, and new children’s books over one school year to help build a culture of literacy in elementary schools across New Hampshire and Vermont. This program targets schools that have a high percentage of students scoring below proficient in literacy assessments, and a high percentage of students receiving free/reduced lunch.
Since we started CLiF’s Year of the Book we have sponsored 70 elementary schools across the Twin States. (Please note: A school must wait a minimum of five years before it can reapply for sponsorship in this program.)
Activities and Support
Each sponsored school receives:
- $25,000 worth of literacy programming and books
- A wide variety of literacy-related programs that will take place during the school year, and several other forms of support (see “More Details” link below)
- 10 new, high-quality children’s books for each student to keep and to select from hundreds of inspiring titles
- CLiF support in arranging logistics, integrating low-cost literacy programs into the school year, networking with past and present school coordinators, and accessing additional CLiF resources
Goals of Year of the Book
- Supplement elementary schools’ existing efforts to create a pro-literacy culture in the school community
- Encourage enthusiasm for books among students from preschool to grade 6
- Inspire students to read and write for pleasure
- Support teachers’ literacy curricula and creative integration of literacy into all areas of study
- Ensure all children have a collection of high-quality books of their own at home
- Get parents more involved in their children’s literacy activities and encourage more reading at home
Click Apply below. Applications due January 29, 2020.
Contact Meredith Scott at firstname.lastname@example.org or (802) 244-0944 with any questions.