Hard to believe we are almost half way through the school year – 10 schools halfway through their CLiF Year of the Book and for ten more their follow-up momentum year. In the next half of the year, schools will welcome CLiF presenters author/illustrator Jason Chin, author/genealogist Natalie Kinsey-Warnock, author Sandra Neil Wallace, author/illustrator Marty … Continued
Summer Reading Resources
Reading is the key to fighting summer learning loss – ‘summer slide’ – and keeping kids learning, safe and healthy every summer, ensuring they return to school in the fall ready to succeed in the year. In response, CLiF’s Summer Readers program has grown more than 1500% since 2006. What can you do to help fight summer slide? Keep reading (here and every day!) CLiF has adapted some of our literacy resources for parents, early educators, camp counselors, and anyone involved with children’s summer programming.
- Circle Story
- Found Object Poetry
- Poem in your Backpack
- Rock’n’Read Summer
- Story Yoga
- Summer Reading Bingo
- Walk About
- Wanted Posters
How can you use these program ideas?
Join CLiF’s Summer Reading Challenge
CLiF challenges you to incorporate reading into your summer plans.
- Implement one of the above programs with any modifications necessary to fit your group. Camps, child cares facilities, rec programs, and libraries are all welcome to participate.
- Send us photos and a summary of your plans and outcomes. Submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=CLiF%20Summer%20Contest.
- Your submission will be entered to win $50 from FirstBook, so you can order new books for your program!
Need other ideas for programs? Try some of these (and they will count towards the contest.)
- Bruce Johnson, reading specialist and member of CLiF’s Board of Advisor, suggested ways to make reading fun in this blog post.
- Use this calendar of early childhood literacy activities.
- Kids Activities Blog.
- Make an adventure tracker for your family or program (visit places for real and in books!)
- Create a reading challenge around other reading materials besides books (recipes, magazines, comics etc).
Why fight Summer Slide?
Click here for a “Summer by the Numbers” Infographic.