CLiF would like to introduce or re-introduce you to Eric Pinder of Berlin, NH. Eric writes books and teaches writing in Vermont and New Hampshire. CLiF created the outline below to help students of all ages think about his books.
Eric’s lifelong interest in science and nature led him to live on top of Mount Washington, about which he has written books for kids and adults. Many of his books are about animals.
Watch a clip Eric’s presentation from CLiF’s Virtual Author’s Series here.
Things to think about:
- There are two books in the series about Sharing with the Bear. What inspired you to write a series of picture books?
- Why do you sometimes write in rhyme and sometimes in prose?
- How do you work with the illustrator?
- Your books are about so many different topics – animals, nature, different landscapes – what inspires you most?
- How do you switch between writing for young children, middle age, and adult readers?
Here are a few ways to get to know Eric’s work better:
- Listen to an interview on NH PBS.
- Read about Eric’s life as an award winning author.
- Hear How to Share with A Bear read aloud
- Here are some great activities to go along with the book If All the Animals Came Inside
CLiF has created literacy activities for students of all ages here. Here are some that would go nicely with Eric’s work:
For younger kids:
- Kindness month – think about kindness in Eric’s books and think of ways to be kind to those around you
- Musical books – imagine playing musical chairs with all the animals when they come inside!
For older kids:
- Found Object Poem – look outside for something cool and write a poem
- Local Pen Pals – pick someone who might benefit from receiving letters and start a correspondence
- Get Out! – go outside in good and bad weather (think of being on Mount Washington!) and write your observations
- Grab a Word – pick some words nouns, verbs, and adjectives about a theme and make silly stories
One response to “Eric Pinder, Author”
And Eric is such a nice guy too! Well worth visiting – and being virtual means you can do it without leaving home!