Of course, peer-to-peer relationships are important to a child’s social-emotional learning and development, but so, too, are relationships with adults. Multigenerational relationships can be fulfilling for everyone involved and it’s essential for kids to have positive, supportive adults in their lives to make them feel safe, loved, and seen. Adults have knowledge and experiences to … Continued
At a time when our country feels tense and divided, CLiF has designed a grant opportunity to help build bridges and strengthen relationships between different groups within communities. CLiF has selected four programs that succeeded in achieving this goal by using reading and writing to bring people together.
Note about 2020-2021/COVID-19:
In this year where planning is difficult, CLiF has combined our Revive your Literacy Programming and Community Building grants to offer more flexible opportunities to use reading and writing to connect kids to their communities while building a love of literacy. The Revive grant is typically $500 to support programming, and the Community Building is $1000 for author visits, books, and events. This year, the application asks how much money you are requesting. CLiF is open to many ways of safely and meaningfully delivering the components of these grants.
- Reading Buddies for Seniors or Pen Pals – includes an author visit, an onsite library, and a two book giveaway
- 1000 Books Before Kindergarten – includes an author visit, an onsite library, and a two book giveaway
- Poetry Workshop led by CLiF Poet Presenter – includes 3 days with one of our poets and entry into our poetry event/publication (details to come) (budgeted at $1000)
- This is What Democracy Looks Like – visit from Center for Cartoon Studies, copies of the comic for students, and funds for a civic engagement project
- Design your own! What project will bring your students into contact with their community with literacy as an engagement point?
We plan to bring back Songwriting Workshop led by CLiF Presenter Jon Gailmor – includes 3 days with Jon and a CD of songs being performed plus funds for refreshments at a community concert – after COVID-19 crisis.
Use the apply button below to learn more about eligibility and applying.
APPLICATIONS DUE JANUARY 27, 2021.