CLiF would like to introduce or re-introduce you to Marty Kelley of New Boston, NH. Marty’s books and presentations bring together his sense of humor and his degrees in art, animation, and elementary education.
Things to think about:
- How do you describe Marty’s art and/or his style?
- Marty writes and illustrates his own books and illustrates other people’s. Which do you think is harder?
- How does music impact Marty’s work? Watch this punk version of his book Summer Stinks. What inspires you?
- Do books need to rhyme?
Here are a few ways to get to know Marty’s work better:
- Marty’s Writing and art activities
- Read his Top Secret Book Project
- Watch Marty on NHPBS NH Authors series
- See a snippet of Marty’s presentation at the Keene State College Children’s Literature Festival
CLiF has created literacy activities for students of all ages here. Here are some that would go nicely with Marty’s work:
For younger kids:
- Dress Up Day – pick a character from one of Marty’s books (or one of your favorites) and dress up like your favorite character. How does it feel to act like them?
- Fairy Tale Fridge Magnets – create silly puppets or magnets to tell silly stories
For older kids:
- Book Trailer Posters – use a picture to sum up the best parts of your favorite books
- Step into the Book – recreate a favorite book using photos or cut-out images