Today, CLiF would like to introduce (or re-introduce) you to Jo Knowles of Hartland, VT. We congratulate her on her first picture book, Ear Worm!, as well as her new chapter book for early middle grade readers, Meant To Be.
We’re so excited Jo wanted to share her debut picture book Ear Worm! with young readers and writers as part of World Read Aloud Day 2022.
- What would your dance move and lyrics be?
- How different is it to write young adult and middle-grade chapter books than a picture book?
- How much do stories draw on the author’s own life or experiences?
- Read an interview with Jo. What would you ask her?
- How is writing songs similar and different to writing poems or stories?
Here are a few ways to get to know Jo’s work better:
- Download finger puppets of the animals in Ear Worm!
- Find a teacher discussion guides for chapter books Where The Heart Is, Still a Work in Progress, See You at Harry’s, Read Between the Lines, and Lessons from a Dead Girl
- Watch an interview with Jo on 5 Questions (Plus One!)
- Learn how Jo helped cartoonists put together story ideas
- Hear Jo on VtEd Reads! talking about Where the Heart Is
CLiF has created literacy activities for students of all ages here. Here are some that would go nicely with Jo’s work:
For younger kids:
- Musical Books – play the game with attention to certain words – can you make up a dance move?
- Grab a Word – try using interesting words as inspiration for your own tune
For older kids:
- Book Trailer Posters – tell more about your favorite of Jo’s books
- Character Facebook Profiles – how would you present your favorite character?