CLiF would like to introduce or re-introduce you to Sarah Dillard of Fayston, VT. Sarah writes and illustrates picture books, graphic novels for new readers and early chapter books.
See Sarah’s presentation here.
Things to think about:
- Many of Sarah’s books celebrate the seasons and natural world. What other themes ties her books together? Where do you think she finds her inspiration?
- Sarah writes and illustrates her own books and illustrates other people’s. Which do you think is harder?
- She has two book series: Mouse Scouts and Extraordinary Warren. Why write and illustrate a series?
Here are a few ways to get to know Sarah’s work better:
- See more of her art here and here
- Hear Sarah read I Don’t Like Rain
- Watch Sarah on the news at a school visit
- Enjoy this version of Exquisite Corpse – Sarah and other CLiF presenters write and illustrate a story about a potato
- Find more educational resources for Mouse Scouts, Extraordinary Warren, and Zoo School
CLiF has created literacy activities for students of all ages here. Here are some that would go nicely with Sarah’s work:
For younger kids:
- Circle Story – put the book back together
- Fairy Tale Fridge Magnets – make puppets from Sarah’s books and create the next story line!
For older kids:
- Book Trailer Posters – use the poster to entice someone else to learn about an activity you like, such as scouting
- Facebook Profile – make a profile for one of your favorite characters